Cymax Stores - Horrendous Customer Service from Cymax

I ordered a desk and matching lateral file cabinet from Cymax, as well as a desk chair.The chair came promptly; no problem.

But the desk and file were subcontracted out to a company called Home Direct. It took 4 full weeks until I was notified of a ship date for the two items, which came from the same warehouse near San Diego, Calif. Both items were delivered in their crates, but the desk came with "White Glove Bronze" service, so the deliverymen uncrated the desk. However, the file cabinet was left in its wooden crate.

It took a hammer and crowbar to carefully remove the wooden crate in many small sections, after which I discovered that the file cabinet was damaged. I notified Cymax immediately -- no easy task, since I was kept on hold for 35 minutes -- and I was then told to photograph the damaged piece and "save all original packing material." Save what? The jagged pieces of splintery wood with nails sticking out of them? Was I expected to re-assemble the shipping carton out of them?

When I pointed this out to the Cymax rep on the phone, his answer was, "Well, save what you can." I informed him that I would do no such thing, since the broken pieces of packing crate were dangerous. I did, however, upload photos of the damaged file as requested, for which I received an automated e-mail acknowledgment. It has now been 3 weeks. In the interim, being unable to run my office without a usable file cabinet, I hired a furniture repair service which repaired the damaged file cabinet at my expense.

I sent Cymax a copy of the bill for the repair, attached to a strongly worded e-mail threatening further action if they did pay for the repair, since they had not responded to the photo evidence of the damaged file. Still nothing. Honestly, I don't see how Cymax stays in business -- are they simply in hiding?

Or is there one guy running the whole office?It's just unconscionable.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.